Title: Lucky Boy
Author: Shanthi Sekaran
Page Count: 472 pages
Genre: Literary Fiction, Multiple Perspectives
Tone: Sympathetic, Moving
A wrenching emotional battle ensues between Soli, an undocumented Mexican single mother, and Kavya, an Indian-American chef who cannot have children, when Soli’s infant son is placed in Kavya’s care during an immigration detention.
These book discussion questions are highly detailed and will ruin plot points if you have not read the book.
The Library is happy to share these original questions for your use. If reproducing, please credit with the following statement: 2018 Mount Prospect Public Library. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.
1. How would you describe Soli as a character? How would you describe Kavya? In what ways were they similar?
2. Did you relate to one woman more than the other? If so, why?
3. What was Kavya’s reasoning to keep Iggy? What was Soli’s reasoning to keep Iggy?
Who do you think Ignacio should have ended up with?
4. Do you agree with this statement? “This story, this fight for a boy—it wasn’t about the boy. It was about his mothers.”
5. Did Iggy adjust between the change in family okay?
6. Why did the author spend so much time developing the characters on their own before we get into the fight for Ignacio?
7. What makes a person privileged? How does this relate to Kavya and Soli’s stories?
8. What was Soli’s desire to move in the first place? Did anything surprise you about her journey?
9. What did you think of Soli’s employers, the Cassidy’s? Why did they have such a weird relationship with Soli?
10. Does Kavya’s love for Iggy change her understanding of heritage? Does it change her husband’s and parents’ understanding of heritage?
11. Is Silvia a good role model for Soli? Why or why not?
12. Is Silvia’s lie forgivable?
13. Was this an accurate portrayal of motherhood?
14. We explore a lot about Soli and Kavya as mothers. What about their own mothers? How do they act as mothers?
15. Between all of the characters, is there any version of motherhood not shared?
16. How did Rishi plan for Iggy? How did they bond?
17. Was there any symbolism with Rishi’s work with Weebie?
18. How did Kavya’s relationship with Preeti change?
19. What did you think about the scenes with the immigration detention center?
20. Does this story remind you of any stories from the news?
21. From the publisher: “Lucky Boy is an emotional journey that will leave you certain of the redemptive beauty of this world. There are no bad guys in this story, no obvious hero.” Do you agree with that?
22. Was Ignacio a lucky boy?
23. Was there anything that surprised you about this book?
24. What made these characters real rather than just symbols? Were there any characters that felt like just symbols?
25. Does the author make a moral claim/vote for what she believes is right?
26. Which character developed the most?
Want help with your book discussion group? Check out tips, advice, and all the ways the Library can help support your group!
- NPR article, “Immigration and Infertility Bring Two Mothers Over One ‘Lucky Boy'”
- Public Radio International article, “The Novel ‘Lucky Boy’ and a Timely Story of Immigration and Motherhood”
- Q&A with author Shanti Sekaran
- Discussion Guide from LitLovers
- Video: author Shanthi Sekaran shares at UC Berkeley
- Book review from New York Journal of Books