Business and Financial Research
Mount Prospect Public Library has a wide selection of business resources in print and online. Browse journals, newspapers, and newsletters found in the Business Reading Area or use the Business Reference collection for research. Contact the Business Librarian for assistance with special research questions.
Mount Prospect Entrepreneurs Initiative
The Mount Prospect Entrepreneurs Initiative (MPEI) is a collaboration between the Village of Mount Prospect, Mount Prospect Chamber of Commerce, Mount Prospect Downtown Merchants Association and the Mount Prospect Public Library focused on helping new or prospective businesses in Mount Prospect by providing a package of innovative economic development resources. Tools to help ensure business success in Mount Prospect – education, mentoring, marketing opportunities and contact with successful existing business owners – will be available through this program. Learn more about MPEI by subscribing to the e- newsletter.
Listen to MPEI podcasts, featuring seasoned, successful business owners in Mount Prospect discussing their experiences and sharing advice.
For more information, contact Business Librarian Angela Baker (MPPL) at 847.253.5675 or Nellie Beckner (Village of Mount Prospect) at 847.818.5312.
Subscription databases are accessible from within the Library or if noted, at home or remotely with a registered MPPL library card. View all business databases.
- AtoZ Databases – Search for US or Canadian businesses and residential listings, new home owners, job postings, and more.
- Business Insights Global – Contains market research reports, case studies, industry profiles, and more.
- Business Source Complete – Contains market research reports, case studies, industry profiles, SWOT analyses and more.
- Gale Business Plan Builder – Formerly Gale Small Business Builder. Designed to help entrepreneurs create a professional Business Plan. Good for nonprofit as well.
- Industry Select – Research U.S. manufacturers in Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio.
- Financial Ratings Series Online – Find ratings for banks, credit unions, insurance companies, and Medigap plans.
- Morningstar Investment Research Center – Provides access to information on stocks and mutual funds for potential investors and researchers.
- Value Line – Online investment research service including stocks and mutual funds.
Government Resources for Business
- State of Illinois Business Resources – Information about operating a business in Illinois including licenses, permits, and certifications.
- Small Business Assistance – Information on getting started with a new business from the State of Illinois.
- Census Business Builder – Online tool from the U.S. Census Bureau allows users to customize census data in order to inform business planning.
- Small Business Administration – Resources from the U.S. Small Business Administration to support small business development.
- EDGAR (SEC Filings & Forms) – Free access to documents required of all public companies by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- LLC/Corporation Search – Look up the name and status of LLCs and Corporations in the state of Illinois.
- AnnualReports.com – Search annual reports by company name, stock exchange, industry or industry sector.
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers – Online directory of suppliers and buyers.
Entrepreneurship & Small Business Resources
- Mount Prospect Entrepreneurs Initiative (MPEI) – Local initiative of the Village of Mount Prospect and the Mount Prospect Public Library to support entrepreneurs.
- Illinois Small Business Development Center at Harper College – Networking and learning opportunities for small business from Harper College
- Women’s Business Development Center – Business advising, mentoring, and more services for emerging and established businesses, including support for veteran-owned businesses.
- Illinois Entrepreneurship Network – Resources from the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, including COVID-19 assistance programs.
- FindLaw for Business – Legal information for businesses from Thomson Reuters.
- SCORE – One-on-one mentoring and other resources for small businesses.
- FINRA investment Tools & Calculators – Online tools for investors from the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
- SEC Investor Information – Information for individual investors from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
News and Numbers
- Investopedia – Financial news and reference articles.
- Yahoo! Finance – Stock quotes, market updates, and business news.
- Market Watch – Financial news and market updates.
- FINRA Market Data Center – Company information and market data.
- Crain’s Chicago Business – Also available in print in the library.
- MoneyGeek.com – Personal finance website with answers to many common questions.
- Consumer.gov – Information from the federal government on managing money, effectively using credit, and avoiding scams. En Español: Consumidor.gov
- Save and Invest – Financial guidance from the FINRA Foundation.
- Money Smart Week – Archived webinars coordinated by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago addressing a variety of personal finance topics