The Mount Prospect Public Library has many materials, programs, and services to support your remote learning curriculum.
Kids Web Pages
The Kids portion of the Library’s Website contains information and resources that you can use remotely including:
- News from Youth Services has many ideas for activities to do with children, as well as book reviews by Youth Services Staff at various reading levels and genres.
- Reading Recommendations has an extensive selection of book lists based on reading levels, current events, and genres.
- Dial-A-Story has a list of the current month’s pre-recorded stories, jokes, songs, and more.
- Homework Help has many web resources, some of which include:
World Book Kids: Brings the encyclopedia version to kid-friendly levels including read aloud option and beautiful graphics.
BookFlix: Combines interactive fiction and nonfiction titles based on topics of interest.
NoveList: Contains read alike suggestions and reviews of children’s books.
PebbleGo: Learn about animals, science, social studies, and biographies in English and Spanish
Scholastic Printables: Thousands of leveled and themed activities to print and supplement curriculum.
A to Z World: Explore foods, climate, people and so much more from around the world.
The Youth Services Department has a large collection of fiction and nonfiction materials including books, audiobooks, kits, and more for children from ages birth to sixth grade. To search for these materials, you can use the Kids Catalog. Some collection highlights include:
- The Nonfiction collection is extensive, covering many subjects, and is a great resource for reports and areas of special interest.
- The Fiction Chapter books, Early Readers, and Picture Books collections are wonderful to enjoy while building comprehension, vocabulary, and reading skills.
- Audiobooks on CDs and Playaways are available for fiction and nonfiction titles.
- STEAM kits are designed to promote Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math and are available for Mount Prospect residents to check out.
- DVDs and Blurays are available and include fiction and nonfiction titles.
- The Kids Books to Go Bags include multiple copies of the same book and a book discussion guide.
- The e-Library includes digital resources that can be accessed even when the Library buildings are closed.
Hoopla: Always have a great eBook, audiobook, movie and music on hand without the wait!
OverDrive: Fantastic selection of eBooks and audiobooks.
Grab and Go
The Youth Services Department has many displays including:
Storytime bundles containing themed books and an activity for preK-K.
Tech-Take-Homes contain materials to create a fun, interactive STEAM manipulative.
Craft-to-Go bags include materials to make a fun craft at your convenience
Parking Lot Pickup: For contactless pickup, place your holds and when they are available, select a convenient day and time for us to directly place your items in the trunk of your car
Youth Services and South Branch staff are available to assist at both locations via phone, email, and live chat.
Book Bag Services
The Youth Services staff can pull items together for you. Please allow up to 3 days to fill.
- firstname.lastname@example.org: Tell us what you’re reading and ask for recommendations.
- email@example.com: Maleeha Mubashiruddin, Elementary School Coordinator
- firstname.lastname@example.org: Katie Duncan, Outreach & Preschool/Childcare Liaison
- email@example.com: Amy Slagter, Programming/Outreach Assistant & Homeschool Liaison
- firstname.lastname@example.org: For assistance in English or Spanish from staff at our South Branch