Mount Prospect Public Library will no longer have a subscription to the web resource Creativebug after June 30. If you are interested in learning how to knit, sew, bake, draw, or any number of other crafts, you might enjoy Gale Presents: Udemy. It also has computer skills, office management, guitar and foreign language courses, all for free with your library card.
News from the Reference Desk Category: Foreign Language Learning
Mount Prospect Public Library card holders now have free access to Gale Presents: Udemy, an online learning platform that connects patrons to video-based courses taught by leading experts in business, technology, and more. Users can explore thousands of continuously updated, on-demand video courses that match their professional goals and personal interests.
Gale Presents: Udemy, from Gale, a Cengage Company, offers a unique, tailor-made learning experience for adults who want to upskill for a new job or advance in their current profession. This top collection, powered by Udemy for Business, helps learners get where they want to be personally and professionally.
Gale Presents: Udemy includes:
- A wide selection of course topics with high-quality, in-demand content
- Courses that are added and removed weekly, as new skills and demands emerge in each field
- An opportunity to learn from world-class instructors working and making advancements in their fields
- Anytime, anywhere access, allowing users to download classes off-line and listen via podcast-style audio or on Chromecast or Apple TV
- A tailor-made learning experience based on skill needs and learning preferences
- Video lectures, most of which offer subtitles and/or transcripts to support a variety of learning styles
- Supplemental course content, such as assignments, quizzes, practice tests, and more
- A certificate of completion, available for download when a course is finished
Major course categories include cloud computing, data science, design, development, finance and accounting, human resources, IT operations, leadership and management, marketing, office productivity, personal development, project management and operations, and sales.
Did you know we have a fun, fast and easy language learning program called Mango Languages? The best part it is free for Mount Prospect patrons and you can access it anywhere there is Internet with you library card. Mango is the easiest and most effective way to learn to speak a foreign language. Mango is available in two versions:
Perfect for a foreign language beginner, Mango Basic teaches everyday greetings, gratitudes, goodbyes and helpful phrases in a short period of time. The courses, which require only two to five hours of time to complete, are currently available in 22 foreign languages and 14 English as a Second Language (ESL) courses.
Mango Complete offers a 100-lesson course that digs much deeper and is designed to provide a more complete understanding of the entire language and culture. It is available in nine foreign language and three ESL courses. Foreign language courses include Chinese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish. ESL courses include Polish, Spanish and Portuguese.